In 1926, St. Elizabeth of Hungary Roman Catholic Parish (Los Angeles Archdiocese) dedicated its new church building at the corner of Lake Avenue and Woodbury, designed by architect Wallace Neff. The accompanying grade school, just west of the church (facing Woodbury Road) was designed by Albert C. Martin and Associates.
In a 1926 brochure about churches in the community, Altadena Chamber of Commerce boasted, “Well equipped, and modern, with large recreation grounds attached to, and a part of the beautiful [church] this school is highly represented, and amply provided for years to come. Great credit is due Rev. Dr. Wm. E. Corr, for his untiring efforts and foresight in securing this beautiful site and splendid building.”
As outlined in the article in the Altadena Press, in 1955 the school was re-purposed as the kindergarten and Parish Administrative offices. A new modern school, built by Driver Construction Company at a cost of $130,000, opened on the east side of Lake, and is still used today.
|New school built in 1955|